Sixth Grade Ancient Civilizations Syllabus
-Global Geography, Mapping skills
-Early Humankind and Human Societies
-The Rise and Fall of Rome
-Discussion of Current Events & Linking
the Past & Present (year round)
Grades will be based on tests, quizzes, projects, homework, and classwork. There will also be extra credit opportunities each quarter. All late work will be penalized and will be worth only half-credit, unless there is a valid excuse. I will also give 2 grade reports to you each quarter, and your parents will receive emailed grade reports, as well!
~If you are not in your assigned seat, you will be marked absent.
~If you are tardy, please come and tell me so I do not mark you as absent.
~If you are absent, you must go to the homework/classwork files and pick up a copy of the missed assignment(s). I will answer any questions you might have about the assignment(s).
~If you are absent on the day an assignment is collected or given, you must stamp ABSENT on your assignment before placing it in the red late/absent box. Miss Simonian will provide the stamp!
~Turn in all late work directly to the red late/absent box.
~If classwork is completed before the bell rings, you may have free time to read, draw, or work on other homework. Do not disturb other students.
~Copy all homework assignments in your Binder Reminder.
Do not write in ANY textbooks. You will be held responsible for lost or damaged textbooks.
Please bring all materials, including pencils, pens, colored pencils, an eraser, loose-leaf paper, a Fine-Tip Sharpie or permanent pen, and your Agenda/Binder Reminder to class everyday.
1. If you are not in your seat when the bell rings, you will be marked tardy. The assistant principal will handle excessive tardies with Saturday school and other consequences.
2. Before school, during brunch, lunch, passing periods, and after school are the times you should use the restroom. I will allow you to use the restroom during class, but I will note excessive bathroom breaks.
3. Raise your hand for permission to ask a question or give an answer.
4. Materials and Supplies:
a. DO NOT write in ANY textbook.
b. Sharpen your pencils before class, not while I am talking.
c. Bring your own materials…don’t rely on borrowing.
d. No books or materials may be borrowed from the classroom without my permission.
5. No food, gum, grooming, or note passing is allowed.
6. Assignments worked on at inappropriate times will be taken and not returned. Items such as toys, combs, magazines, etc. will be taken and may only be picked up by a parent.
7. End of Period Routine:
a. Remain in your seat at the end of the period until you are dismissed by me.
b. All books and materials must be returned to their proper places.
c. No paper or trash should be on the floor or on your desk.
d. There should be no writing/drawings on your desk.
e. Many times, scissors, glue, colored pencils, etc. will be used during the period; all of these things must be collected before anyone leaves.
8. You must respect the rights of others and act in a courteous manner towards all!
-Benching/Detention/Referral/Saturday School (can be assigned for failure to observe any of the above classroom rules)
-Call Home/Parent-Teacher-Student Conference
-Exclusion from Class Activities (you will not be able to make up anything missed during your time out)
-A “U” (Unsatisfactory) on your report card for your Citizenship grade